Flowers

Today was Boy the Younger’s birthday.  He is ten and has been about as excited as the most excited thing.  My tiny boy is ten; how can that be?

Apart from the astonishing array of pre-formed plastic ickle fings which he loves so much, I gave him a bunch of flowers.  Not a huge bouquet, just a modest bunch of yellow carnations which I put in a blue glass vase.  At first, he appeared not to take much notice and the situation wasn’t helped by Boy the Elder saying “She’s given you those because you’re a pansy…etc etc”.  I explained that I had given them to him because flowers are beautiful and are a lovely gift for anyone, male or female.  When I went in to his room to kiss him goodnight, the flowers were on his bedside table.

I like giving flowers to men.  Men like flowers too and why should they not have the benefit of a lovely bunch or bouquet on a special occasions or to say thank you or well done or just I love you?

As I have said before, I am an equalist.  If men and women want equal legal and political rights, then they should also extend the same courtesies, responsibilities and loving gestures.

Mantra for the week:  Give a Boy a Bunch of Flowers.  For no reason at all.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Flowers

1. Jax March 5, 2013 at 14:20 #

In total agreement. My fella loves a posy now and then!

2. columnist March 5, 2013 at 17:03 #

Hear, hear. Nothing wrong with a man receiving flowers or buying them for himself. It’s sad that our society encourages us to think otherwise. Appreciating beauty is not gender restricted.

3. wartimehousewife March 5, 2013 at 18:06 #

Beautifully put, Columnist. And good to hear from you, I hope all is well in the mystical east?

4. wartimehousewife March 5, 2013 at 18:06 #

Welcome Jax. Keep up the good work!

5. Janice March 5, 2013 at 18:12 #

How lovely – and how very ‘right’. My father (quite oddly and out of character) suddenly announced last year that no one ever buys him flowers and that he would really like that. So he’s had a cautious couple of bunches bought for him, which he has seemed to quietly love. I like this idea so much that I am going to pinch it for my boy’s 11th birthday in June. Thanks for sharing.

6. Allegra March 5, 2013 at 20:39 #

Like it, like it ! I should also like to point out that it’s perfectly acceptable to gift power tools to ladies. Jus’ sayin’.

7. The Owl Wood March 5, 2013 at 21:33 #

HBBDTH, HBBDTH, HBBDTBTY, HBBDTH! (Works only if you include “belated”.

I’m all for it. Absolute equality is a three-way street. That said, I’d rather have a nice 30lb box of (vegan) chocolates instead of the flowers.

8. wartimehousewife March 5, 2013 at 22:45 #

Allegra: Hell yes! One of the best presents I ever had was a box of really sharp chisels with little caps on the blades. And this Christmas I was given a cordless power drill with a case of drill bits and screw drivers. Bliss!

9. wartimehousewife March 5, 2013 at 22:50 #

Welcome Janice. You’ve proved my point with your dad and I’m sure your son will love them just as much.

10. June March 7, 2013 at 17:28 #

What a good idea! I was wondering what to give my 50 year-old this weekend!

11. wartimehousewife March 7, 2013 at 17:52 #

Which one of your lot is 50, June? And will you give them Lego as well?

12. Flat Stanley March 8, 2013 at 15:07 #

I assume said child will be lynched if he recycles his gift back on Sunday ?

13. wartimehousewife March 8, 2013 at 15:42 #

Flat Stanley: I have taken the precaution of going to Leeds on Sunday to avoid the humiliation of neglectful children. Oh how sharper than a serpent’s tooth blah blah blah….