Woolton Pie

No, M'Lord, that's where I wash me smalls!

Woolton Pie was created in 1941 at The Savoy Hotel in London and was named after Lord Woolton who was head of The Ministry of Food.

It can be made with just about any vegetables that you have to hand; fresh bought, leftovers, odds and ends, roasted veg, frozen mixed veg. – the decision is yours.  This recipe is about as Wartime Housewife as it gets, using all the elements of  leftovers, using what you have in the fridge or cupboard, and is very, very cheap.

The basic elements are:
Mixed vegetables
A sauce
A topping of pastry, crumble or potatoes – mashed or sliced

WOOLTON PIE

Utensils:
A deep-sided pie dish or casserole

Ingredients:
*   Mixed vegetables cut into similar shapes if possible eg julienne strips or cubes
*   White sauce flavoured with cheese or herbs or both (see HERE for recipe)
*   A quantity of shortcrust pastry OR mashed potato OR sliced potatoes
OR savoury crumble mix (see HERE for crumble recipe)
*   Beaten egg to glaze pastry or grated cheese and butter for the potatoes

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 375 / 5 / 190
If using fresh vegetables, steam them very lightly until they are just cooked
Put the vegetables into the dish
Pour over the sauce
Top with mash, sliced potatoes, crumble mixture or pastry
Top potatoes with grated cheese or brush the pastry with beaten egg
Bake in the oven until whichever top you’ve used is golden brown

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Woolton Pie

1. Annie @ knitsofacto November 17, 2011 at 10:18 #

My grandmother used to make Woolton Pie! Maybe I should give it a go!!

2. john November 17, 2011 at 12:31 #

I have heard of it, but never cooked it.. thank you for that my hubby loves all of these wartime recipes….

3. wartimehousewife November 17, 2011 at 13:51 #

Our grandparents were so much more sensible about their food and had a much healthier approach to its intrinsic value. Nothing wasted, everything valued and a creative approach to what you could do with things. We have to learn to value food more, particularly when the average budget is being squeezed to choking point.

4. Joy November 17, 2011 at 14:18 #

This sounds good. My boys will eat anything with a pie crust on it so I’ll have to give this a try.

5. Penny Beaumont November 17, 2011 at 16:50 #

Often make this pie. Wartime cookery books are fascinating,I love reading them, and trying the recipes; some I hasten to add are better than others.

6. wartimehousewife November 17, 2011 at 17:43 #

Yes Penny, I had a WW2 Trex booklet and it had cake and biscuit recipes which were quite disgusting!

7. backwatersman November 17, 2011 at 22:25 #

Sounds like a sort of bubble and squeak pie. Could probably do with a bit of HP Sauce to go with it.

8. Philip Watson November 18, 2011 at 20:35 #

And a very decent meal it makes too. It’s not one of our regular recipes, but we’ve tried it a few times – swede, carrot, leek and potato (all of which we grow) work particularly well.

9. Pearle October 13, 2012 at 18:04 #

mmmmm yummy. We ate lots of this at University in the 1990s. Havn’t had it for a long time…..must make it again. Thanks for the reminder.

10. wartimehousewife October 14, 2012 at 12:45 #

Welcome Pearle, one of my favourites was a similar thing, where a packet of cooked mixed vegetables was covered in a rich cheese sauce and eaten out of bowls with a big spoon. Yummy indeed!