Basic First Aid Kit

My First Aid Kit - oversized but worth it. I always have a small kit in the car and always have one in a back pack when walking

It is important to have a well-stocked first aid kit in your home to deal with minor accidents and injuries. Everyone in the house should know where it is and I would strongly encourage you to teach your children some basic first aid skills or at least what to do in an emergency.  You could be the injured person.

Personally I would suggest schools teach a little less ‘Citizenship’ and a bit more cookery, needlework and first aid.  But what do I know.

Remember:

Your first aid kit should be locked and kept in a cool, dry place, out of reach of children.

Medicines should be checked regularly to make sure that they are reasonably within their use-by dates.

You should also keep a small first aid kit in the car for emergencies.

YOUR BASIC FIRST AID KIT

A basic first aid kit should contain:

• Small, medium and large sterile gauze dressings
  • At least two sterile eye dressings
  • Triangular bandages
  • Crêpe rolled bandages
  • Plasters in different shaps and sizes
  • Safety pins
  • Disposable sterile gloves
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Alcohol-free cleansing wipes
  • Micropore tape.
  • Thermometer
  • Cream or spray to relieve insect bites and stings.
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Painkillers such as paracetamol (or infant paracetamol for children) or ibuprofen
  • Cough medicine
  • Antihistamine tablets
  • Eye bath
  • Steri strips or skin closures
  • A First Aid instruction leaflet
  • The name and telephone number of your doctor
  • The name and telephone number of some neighbours or relatives who may be able to offer assistance

Over time I will give you information about how to conduct some basic first aid techniques.

, , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Basic First Aid Kit

1. Sue January 12, 2011 at 06:59 #

A garden full of snow is also very useful if you burn yourself.

2. Englishrose January 12, 2011 at 10:34 #

May I suggest that you add a pack of 300mg aspirin to your kit? St John Ambulance and other first aid organisations advise that giving an aspirin to a person suffering a suspected heart attack whilst waiting for the paramedics to arrive can dramatically increase their chances of survival (have a look at the heart attack section on http://www.sja.org.uk for more info). Of course, you need to check that the person isn’t allergic to aspirin before they take the tablet (chew, not swallow) – and don’t forget to tell the paramedics that you’ve given the patient an aspirin tablet!

Of course, adding aspirin to your kit will guarantee that no-one you know ever has a heart attack whilst you’re about – you can pretty much guarantee that the one emergency you have to deal with is the one that you haven’t got stuff for ;)

3. marigold January 12, 2011 at 12:07 #

And maybe for any kind of emotional upset or fraughtness, a bottle of Rescue Remedy on the side…

4. wartimehousewife January 12, 2011 at 18:07 #

Welcome English Rose and thank you for your very sensible addition which I will include in the list. I do hope you keep reading.

5. wartimehousewife January 12, 2011 at 18:11 #

Welcome Marigold. Personally, I always have a bottle of Rescue Remedy to hand, but I thought I’d include that in a piece on a Complementary Natural First Aid Kit which I will be posting in the near future. Hope to hear from you again.

6. myrtle January 12, 2011 at 23:56 #

There didn’t seem to be any mention of a hip flask anywhere…….