Basic First Aid Kit

My First Aid Kit - oversized but worth it. I always have a small kit in the car and always have one in a back pack when walking

It is important to have a well-stocked first aid kit in your home to deal with minor accidents and injuries. Everyone in the house should know where it is and I would strongly encourage you to teach your children some basic first aid skills or at least what to do in an emergency.  You could be the injured person.

Personally I would suggest schools teach a little less ‘Citizenship’ and a bit more cookery, needlework and first aid.  But what do I know.

Your first aid kit should be locked and kept in a cool, dry place, out of reach of children.

Medicines should be checked regularly to make sure that they are reasonably within their use-by dates.

You should also keep a small first aid kit in the car for emergencies.

A basic first aid kit should contain:

• Small, medium and large sterile gauze dressings
  • At least two sterile eye dressings
  • Triangular bandages
  • Crêpe rolled bandages
  • Plasters in different shaps and sizes
  • Safety pins
  • Disposable sterile gloves
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Alcohol-free cleansing wipes
  • Micropore tape.
  • Thermometer
  • Cream or spray to relieve insect bites and stings.
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Painkillers such as paracetamol (or infant paracetamol for children) or ibuprofen
  • Cough medicine
  • Antihistamine tablets
  • Eye bath
  • Steri strips or skin closures
  • A First Aid instruction leaflet
  • The name and telephone number of your doctor
  • The name and telephone number of some neighbours or relatives who may be able to offer assistance

Over time I will give you information about how to conduct some basic first aid techniques.

, , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Basic First Aid Kit

1. Sue January 12, 2011 at 06:59 #

A garden full of snow is also very useful if you burn yourself.

2. Englishrose January 12, 2011 at 10:34 #

May I suggest that you add a pack of 300mg aspirin to your kit? St John Ambulance and other first aid organisations advise that giving an aspirin to a person suffering a suspected heart attack whilst waiting for the paramedics to arrive can dramatically increase their chances of survival (have a look at the heart attack section on for more info). Of course, you need to check that the person isn’t allergic to aspirin before they take the tablet (chew, not swallow) – and don’t forget to tell the paramedics that you’ve given the patient an aspirin tablet!

Of course, adding aspirin to your kit will guarantee that no-one you know ever has a heart attack whilst you’re about – you can pretty much guarantee that the one emergency you have to deal with is the one that you haven’t got stuff for 😉

3. marigold January 12, 2011 at 12:07 #

And maybe for any kind of emotional upset or fraughtness, a bottle of Rescue Remedy on the side…

4. wartimehousewife January 12, 2011 at 18:07 #

Welcome English Rose and thank you for your very sensible addition which I will include in the list. I do hope you keep reading.

5. wartimehousewife January 12, 2011 at 18:11 #

Welcome Marigold. Personally, I always have a bottle of Rescue Remedy to hand, but I thought I’d include that in a piece on a Complementary Natural First Aid Kit which I will be posting in the near future. Hope to hear from you again.

6. myrtle January 12, 2011 at 23:56 #

There didn’t seem to be any mention of a hip flask anywhere…….