Banana & Bran Flake Muffins: A stolen recipe!

I love anything with bananas in, and tonight I baked some Banana and Bran Flake Muffins.  Apparently the recipe was originally on the back of a Bran Flake Packet and so it’s technically in the public domain.  However, I spotted them on the woman known only as ‘Ramtops’’ fabulous Reactive Cooking blog and so I’m going to direct you there to get the recipe.  I would urge you to have a look at this site for two reasons.

1.     These muffins are absolutely mouth-watering and it took all our  strength for Boy the Younger and me to refrain from an appalling show of gluttony.

2.     Reactive Cooking is a perfect example of how we should all be cooking.  See what’s in your larder and make something with it, or see what’s seasonal or on offer in the shops and make something with that.

With regard to the muffins however, I made them in a slightly more traditional way, creaming the butter and sugar, adding the egg, then the banana (pureed with a stick blender), then the yoghurt.  Then I folded in the flour, bran flakes and milk.  I found that the recipe made 18 muffins, but they are possibly smaller than hers – I found them very filling.
They are also made pretty much using Storecupboard Ingredients.

Do let me know how you get on, and let  know Ramtops know as well.
They would be a lovely, nourishing addition to a packed lunch!

, , ,

10 Responses to Banana & Bran Flake Muffins: A stolen recipe!

1. ramtops March 23, 2010 at 07:53 #

Coo – thanks for the compliment!

2. Sue March 23, 2010 at 12:02 #

I’ve been making muffins too! Two types-banana and choc and lemon and coconut. I’ve used up 3 black bananas and the end of a jar of lemon curd. Muffins are the standard lunch box fillers in my house along with flapjacks. They are excellent for using up fruit on the turn.

Reactive cooking is what I practise most of the time. Using what I have on hand is my preferred way of running a thrifty and resourceful kitchen.

3. Camilla Jessop March 23, 2010 at 17:39 #

Hello dear,
    What valuable advice you offer – and sumptuous recipes. I myself have always loved a banana in my muffin.

4. wartimehousewife March 23, 2010 at 17:50 #

Oh Camilla, I’ve missed you! Thank you for your kind comments. Personally, I like a chocolate sandwich.

5. wartimehousewife March 23, 2010 at 17:56 #

We’re a big flapjack family too Sue. Do you leave yours unadulterated or do you add seeds or fruit or anything?

Re Reactive Cooking – it’s proper cooking and I don’t see any other way that a family can avoid wastage and over consumption. We must all spread the word (without being smug and unbearable obviously!)

6. Sue March 23, 2010 at 20:49 #

Sometimes seeds and fruit (dried apricots are good) but mostly plain. I like ground ginger in flapjacks too.

I do enjoy your blog Wartime Housewife, you talk a great deal of sense :o)

7. Sue March 23, 2010 at 20:50 #

Wrong smilie there, this is what I meant :-)

8. Mrs.Pogle March 24, 2010 at 14:33 #

I love the sound of these, and will make some after Easter! :)

9. Jo Halford April 6, 2010 at 20:35 #

I’m going to make these immediately (after I’ve watched Martin de Guerre). As I bake almost every day, chiefly for my boys, I am always on the lookout for new recipes. My boys won’t sew buttons on as per your later blog, but they have, this Easter holiday, baked three times each, Double chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, Be-Ro chocolate chip cookes and muffins with a chocolate surprise…all of which were delicious…we like chocolate at our house. And not a packet mix in sight!

10. wartimehousewife April 6, 2010 at 21:29 #

Good on you Jo – sounds like my sort of household!