Ah, it’s all sloths with me at the moment. Actually this is a word of encouragement to any of you who believe that you are ‘Not Ready for Christmas’ – whatever that means. In order to encourage you this is where I’m up to:
1. Today, I made my Christmas Cake – it’s just about to go in the oven. I soaked the fruit for 24 hours in brandy and skipped the month of feeding. Tomorrow I shall marzipan and ice it and on Tuesday I shall decorate it. I have chosen a simple decoration so as not put any pressure on myself.
2. On Thursday, I made my Christmas pudding. NOTE: I did it over night in the slow cooker saving both gas, electricity and anxiety about the pot boiling dry.
3. Tonight and tomorrow, I’m going to wrap my presents whilst watching ‘Holiday Inn’ (I saw ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ at the pictures so I can tolerate a bit of deviance!) There will be sherry
4. This evening, I’m going to make a new Santa Sack for the Father of My Children who is coming for Christmas.
5. At some point I will clean the house. The Boys can tidy and clean their bedrooms and change their sheets ready for guests
6. On Monday morning, I will place the ham in the slow cooker with a load of cider and herbs and let it cook itself until I come home.
7. On Tuesday, I shall buy vegetables and any extra supplies needed for Christmas Lunch and Tea
8. On Tuesday evening, I shall collect the Aged Parent from London. I’m hoping that this will avoid any horrid traffic and then we can relax on Christmas Eve.
9. On Wednesday evening, I will stuff the turkey if I feel like it.
10. If anyone finds fault with my house, its state of cleanliness, the homely nature of the food or the fact that someone is going to have to share a room with a hamster, they can bugger off. I can guarantee that this won’t happen.
11. Remember that Christmas is about sharing time with your family and friends and not a PR exercise to show what a wonderful host and entertainer you are. Whatever you’re celebrating, fill the next few days with joy, love and gratitude and you won’t go far wrong.